Last Updated on September 14, 2023
Over the past 10+ years since launching Insurance Leads Guide, we have regularly received emails from agents asking for recommendations for just about everything from lead management and marketing tools to website platforms and FMOs.
I have personally done my best to help out where I can and often ask trusted colleagues when I don’t have an answer based on firsthand experience. I thought it would be a nice option to aggregate these tools and services into one central list as a reference.
Short on time? No sweat! Get access to the full source spreadsheet version of this list.
Click here for the Ultimate Insurance Agent Resource spreadsheet.
- Insurance Lead Companies
- Prospecting & Marketing Lists
- Aged Leads
- Exclusive Leads
- Telemarketing Leads
- CRM & Lead Management Systems
- Quoting Software and Comparative Raters
- eSignature Solutions
- Website Builders & CMS Platforms
- WordPress Themes & Page Builders
- Web Hosting
- Insurance Agency Website Design & Development Services (DFY)
- Content Distribution Networks (CDNs)
- Domain Names
- Website Chat Tools
- Website Conversion & Landing Page Tools
- Quote and Web Form Builders
- SEO, Content & Market Research Tools
- Logo Creation
- Freelance Resources & Marketplaces
- Door Knocking Apps
- Email Outreach
- Prospecting Data Tools
- Advertising Platforms
- Social & Advertising Graphic Creation
- Video Production Tools
- Social Media Tools
- Email Marketing & Newsletter Services
- Sales & Web Automation Tools
- Direct Mail
- Local Directory Marketing
- Letterhead & Business Cards
- Agency Management
- Email & Business Suites
- Licensing & Continuing Education
- E&O Insurance
- Field Marketing Organizations & Appointments
- VOIP & Phone Systesm
- Video Conferencing & Webinar Services
- Productivity Tools & Resources
This list will be regularly updated so please bookmark and check back for updates. If you see a great resource that is missing be sure to let us know here.
Lead & Data Providers
Insurance Lead Companies
Our list of fresh and real-time lead companies. You can also see individual provider reviews through the links on the right side of this page.
- QuoteWizard (Review)
- SmartFinancial Agents (Review)
- Benepath Leads
- NextGen Leads (Review)
- Hometown Quotes (Review)
- See The Full List
Prospecting & Marketing Lists
Often confused with leads, list services offer targeted contact lists for direct mail, telemarketing, door knocking, email prospecting, and digital marketing. The difference between leads and lists is that a person on a prospecting list is simply aggregated data. The contacts did not submit their info with the intent to buy or get more information for an insurance or financial product.
- Cole X-Dates ($595 Off Coupon Link – Unlimited Data Plans & Excellent Quality)
- QuoteWizard (Calls)
- Benepath (Web & Calls – Life, Health, Medicare & Commercial)
- NextGen Leads (Calls & Web)
Insurance Software & Sales Resources
CRM & Lead Management Systems
Below are a few of the top CRM and LMS providers in the industry. Many are seeking to become a one-stop solution so they might incorporate other services listed in the categories below. The right solution for each agency is becoming a bit more complicated every day. The options vary depending on being independent or captive, by product line, and by state. Your ideal solution will also vary based on your desire to cherry-pick services or go with an all-in-one provider. We suggest putting in some serious research time before choosing because it can be very painful to switch once integrated.
- PipeDrive (Customizable / All Lines -30 Day Free Trial)
- VanillaSoft (Customizable / All Lines)
- GoHealth (Forerly Norvax)
- HubSpot (Flexible Free/Paid Versions + Sales Tools)
- Dial Your Leads (Lead Management and Telemarketing Sales Automation)
- AgencyBloc (Health & Life)
- ONTRAPORT (CRM + Business Automation Suite)
- Agency MVP
Quoting Software and Comparative Raters
Here are some of the top quote and rating solutions. Many are line specific which could mean multiple solutions for multi-line brokers.
- Epic Quotes by Applied (Formerly SEMCat) (P&C)
- NinjaQuoter (Life)
- Compulife (Life)
- PL Rating (Personal Lines)
- Quotit (Health, Medicare)
- Ritter (Medicare, FE, Life)
- CSG Actuarial (Medicare, FE)
- GetInsured (Health)
- QuotePro (Auto)
Dialers took a major shift with the introduction of DNC laws. Dialers today can help with lead response and productivity. Many of the top providers will integrate with your CRM/LMS.
Website Solutions & Resources
Website Builders & CMS Platforms
For those that want to build their own website, we have a list of the top CMS (content management system) platforms and website builders avaiable. Open source CMS platforms, specifically WordPress, have traditionally been the starting block for non-developers who want to build a website. In recent years, easy to use “drag and drop” DIY site builder software services have become extremely popular. Site builders allow anyone, regardless of skill level, to build a nice looking website in minimal time. Website builder services do have a monthly fee, but they include web hosting which is a separate expense (and learning curve) required when using a free CMS platform.
- WordPress (CMS) ILG is on WordPress
- Squarespace (Site Builder)
- Wix (Site Builder)
- Weebly (Site Builder)
- Joomla (CMS)
- Drupal (CMS)
WordPress Themes & Page Builders
WordPress is a free CMS platform that is used by over 25% of websites on the Internet. Because of its popularity, there are countless WordPress plugins, themes and resources available to build just about any type of website one can imagine if you are willing to put in some time and effort. Below are some of the best places to find a theme as well as page builder plugins that can simulate the drag and drop design of popular site builders on the WordPress platform.
WordPress Page Builder Plugins
With site speed becoming a search engine ranking signal (fast) hosting is now even more mission critical to online lead generation. I have personally worked with all of these services. This site is currently hosted by Cloudways, which has been excellent.
Insurance Agency Website Design & Development Services (DFY)
Don’t want to mess with creating or editing a website in-house? Here are a few insurance industry specific website design and development services to consider.
Content Distribution Networks (CDNs)
CDNs are another layer of hosting that can make your website faster (big SEO factor) and more reliable by serving files across a distributed network of servers. Files are served to visitors from the closest server location, which makes the site load faster for visitors and puts less stress on your primary web host. CDNs can also help with website security by blocking malicious web activity. Implementing a CDN service can seem daunting, but the process has gotten a lot easier to implement and user-friendly over the past few years. ILG uses Cloudflare which I have found to be the most user-friendly solution. I’ve worked with all of the options below. If you need some help hit me up in the comments through the contact page.
Below are a few domain registrars and aftermarket domain marketplaces to find a good name for your website.
Website Chat Tools
Adding a live chat tool to your website can net an immediate boost in leads and conversion rates. We have evolved into a society of seamless communication and instant gratification. Live chat knocks down the objection of having to wait for someone to call back and allows producers the opportunity to communicate with prospects when they are most engaged.
Website Conversion & Landing Page Tools
These tools add proven engagement and call to action elements. They are easy to implement and can instantly optimize lead conversion. They are all paid tools, but I’ve found that they easily pay for themselves with the increase in lead generation.
Quote and Web Form Builders
Want to roll your own custom quote or contact form? These tools can help you get the job done. Mix in automation tools like Zapier and Integromat and you can connect most of the solutions below directly into your CRM, LMS, Dialer or Quote Engine.
SEO, Content & Market Research Tools
These are some of the most popular SEO, competitor analysis, content marketing and keyword research tools.
- SEMRush – Best all around SEO and research tool for the money. Check your agency domain in the box below for an overview audit of your website. The regular plan is paid, but new users can get a 7 day full access trial for Free.
- Moz Link Explorer
Below are some good resources for creating your own logo or having one custom made.
- Looka (Formerly LogoJoy) – Create a custom logo with the help of powerful AI assistance
- 99 Designs
- Design Crowd
- See Freelance Marketplaces Below
Freelance Resources & Marketplaces
These resources are where you can find just about anything you need including contractors talented in video, programming, web design, graphics, web copy, telemarketing and more. The first 3 are project based bidding platforms. Fiverr is a marketplace for small gigs that cost as little as $5 each.
Lead Generation, Marketing & Prospecting Resources
Door Knocking Apps
If selling door to door is part of your sales mix, stay organized and map out your game plan with a professional door knocking sales app.
Use these tools to scale and automate personalized cold email outreach.
Prospecting Data Tools
If you are missing key contact details for an email (or phone) pitch or need a really specific list of contacts, the following tools can help.
- Voila Norbert (Find Anyone’s Email Address – First 50 Free)
- Albacross – See who is visiting your website and contact them
- LinkedIn Sales Navigator for Gmail (Formerly Rapportive)
These are the top options for
online business advertising. Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising (Bing+Yahoo search) will be the most effective because of the high user intent of search but they will also cost more per lead. Social platforms are great for generating initial interest and retargeting visitors who have already shown interest in your services.
- Google Ads (Formerly Adwords)
- Microsoft Advertising (Formerly Bing Ads)
- Facebook Ads
- LinkedIn Ads
- Twitter Ads
Social & Advertising Graphic Creation
When it comes to advertising on social media platforms, the images you use are just as important as the ad copy. These tools and services help you get it right the first time.
Video Production Tools
Social Media Tools
A great social media strategy requires a balance of manual and scheduled posting. These tools help to organize and automate some of chaos that is social media marketing.
- HootSuite – Social media discovery and scheduling across all platforms
- Buffer – Best social media scheduler for Twitter
- MissingLettr – Create drip social media campaigns
- Refind – Best discovery tool for targeted curation of great content to share
- Meet Edgar
- SEMRush – Social Media Analytics + Term Tracking + Scheduled Posting
Email Marketing & Newsletter Services
Email is integrated into several of the CRM and LMS solutions which can be a good or not-so-good thing depending on the implementation. Keep in mind that an email only service is likely to have a higher delivery rate than a software integrated feature.
Email marketing and automation can be a lead generation and sales boon if used properly. These tools can be used for email newsletters, autoresponder sequences, sales funnels, and automated lead follow-up. Many options below also offer free full-featured starter plans up to 1000 subscribers.
- MailerLite (Best Value – Free Up to 1000 Contacts)
- Aweber (Free up to 500 subscribers. Lots of features)
Sales & Web Automation Tools
Sales automation has become a key component of the lead machine for top producers. Some of the top agency and lead management software suites have automation fully baked in. Of course, these high-tech features can come at a high price. The good news is that there is a growing number of middle-ware services that provide platforms to connect and automate just about any online service without a computer science degree. The following tools are a must-use if you want to automate actions between different tools and online services.
Below are a few of our most recommended providers for direct mail. There are a variety of different services in this category and a few more to come.
- Lead Connections – Medicare & Annuity Direct Mail House
- Send Out Cards – Gifts and referrals
- PostcardMania – Best Self-Serve DM Option
- Door Hangers – Name says it all
- Stamps.com – Small self mailing
Local Directory Marketing
These are services focused on local search marketing. Google Business Profile is the first priority. Be sure to complete every field possible. Yext is where I go next for an instant impact building an online profile and citations; critical components for strong local search rankings. If you are captive, you might already have a Yext profile managed through your carrier.
- Google Business Profile
- BrightLocal Local Rank Checker
- CallFire – Tracking phone numbers
- Moz Local (Formerly GetListed)
- See List of Citation Sources
Letterhead & Business Cards
Here are a few services for stationary and business cards. If you want something super impressive (a la American Psycho) you’ll want to opt for letter press. Fair warning though, it is expensive.
Insurance Operations & Organizations
Insurance agency management software offers an all-in-one solution to running a modern insurance agency or brokerage. Each software solution below has its own unique set of options and solutions. Some are product line specific while others offer a generic platform that can be customized. If you are already using a separate CRM, lead management software, quote engine, dialer or email marketing software you will want to consider all integration and migration options before making a decision. I also recommend looking for a provider that can grow with your company and accommodate any additional product lines you would like to add.
Email & Business Suites
Hosted email solutions have come a long way in recent years. I’ve personally tested and configured just about every major option on the market today. It wasn’t that long ago that I was convinced the best option was a custom email server. Today, a custom server is almost out of the question due to cost, reliability, and regulatory concerns.
I am a customer of each of the solutions below and really like each one for different reasons. If I could only use one service to run my business I would choose Google Workspace (Formerly G Suite) due to the MANY integrations, the suite of services, reliability, and low price point ($6/mo per user).
Important Note About Using a Free Gmail Email Account
While Google Workspace might look exactly like the free Gmail alternative, It is very important to note that a standard Gmail account is absolutely not a viable option for business email (or political email 😛 ) due to the highly invasive terms of service. Google Workspace offers enterprise-level privacy, terms of service, and security. With a free Gmail account, you are giving Google access to use and publicly share anything that is transmitted to or from your account.
Using a free Gmail account for client communications is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If you want to work with Google email and apps, do yourself a favor and use Google Workspace instead.
- Google Workspace (Formely G Suite) – Full suite of Google email and business software with your domain name, enterprise grade TOS, configuration options, email client flexibility (including Outlook) and more storage for $6-12/mo per user.
Note: I’ve been using Google’s business grade email since it was in beta and regularly get access to one-time use referral codes good for 10% off the full business suite for the first year of service. Feel free to email me if interested and I’ll share one if I have any available at the time.
- Microsoft Office 365 – Microsoft continues to improve on their cloud based email and Office software solution. I like it as much as Google Workspace, but it doesn’t have quite as many integration or 3rd party applications that I rely on. If you love Outlook and Office, it is an excellent option.
- Fastmail – Fastmail is a highly reliable, low cost hosted email service with a focus on enterprise grade security and privacy.
Licensing & Continuing Education
Below are some of the more popular sources for licensing and online CE classes.
Having good errors and omissions coverage is a must. Below are a few direct sources and agent organizations that offer E&O policies. If you work with an FMO or belong to an independent agent organization you should check to see if they offer E&O insurance as well.
Field Marketing Organizations & Appointments
It would be difficult to make the topic of insurance marketing organizations and contract appointments more confusing. Titles such as IMO (Independent Marketing Organization), FMO (Field Marketing Organization), and MGA (Managing General Agent) are often used interchangeably. The definition of each can depend on the product line and is even further muddied by conflicting carrier definitions and agencies using the terms (and variations) as titles for marketing. Generally speaking, all of the above are agencies or organizations that can offer carrier contracts to independents with many offering additional services such as training, technology, back-office support, and lead programs. Below is a list of some of the more popular FMO/IMO/MGA options with supported product lines.
- Ritter Insurance Marketing – Medicare, FE, LTC, Ancillary
- Senior Market Sales – Medicare, Final Expense, Life, LTC, Annuity, Ancillary
- Premier Marketing – Medicare, FE, Life, LTC, Short-Term Care, Annuity, Ancillary
- Precision Senior Marketing – Medicare, FE, Life, LTC, Annuity, Ancillary
- Eldercare Insurance Services – Medicare, FE, Life, LTC, Annuity, Ancillary
- Equis Financial – Life, FE, Mortage Protection, Annuity
VOIP & Phone Systesm
Below are a few VOIP providers for business lines, online fax and 800 numbers. I am personally very happy with RingCentral.
Video Conferencing & Webinar Services
Telesales and webinars done properly can be very lucrative as a compliment or substitute for traditional in person appointment and seminars. Online video conferencing software can serve multiple purposes including webinars, remote team meetings, sales presentations and client calls.
Productivity Tools & Resources
Many of you are already familiar with these services but just in case we decided to list a few of our favorites.
- AppSumo – Lifetime deals on up and coming software
- Google Workspace – Mail, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts, etc w/ enterprise grade privacy and terms at $6/mo.
- Refind – Best social media tool for content discovery and targeted curation
- Google Alerts
Whew! There you have it.
Over 250 tools and services for insurance agents and brokers.
What do you think? Did we miss anything? Feel free to share your favorites, suggestions, and any other thoughts in the comments below.